Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Trim Healthy Mama Tuesday, Week 1

So I've been walking the Trim Healthy Mama journey for a week. That is a week of delicious healthy food in abundance with no guilt about what it is doing to my weight.

I started this journey at 18 weeks pregnant and 198lbs. That was up 9lbs during the first trimester from all the carbs I ate to stave off the all day nausea. Once the nausea lifted at 12 weeks I stopped gaining and my weight remained the same for the next 6 weeks. Then I started my THM journey. Even though I'm not aiming to loose weight at this point, just to keep it to a healthy gain for growing this baby, I am now down a lb. So I now weigh 197lbs.

At only 5ft 2in my end goal weight (pregnancy not included) is going to be somewhere in the region of 120lbs. I know that is a long term goal and I am in no hurry to get there, especially as I won't actually be starting the weight loss part of this journey until after the baby has arrived in May.

Right now I'm getting used to thinking about S & E for meals and snacks, enjoying the lovely Fuel Pull sweet treats as snacks, and balancing in a few crossovers each week to keep my weight healthy for the growing baby.

Right now I'm loving S meals on week days, as I am finding those easier to get to grips with, and they help my pregnant body with the insulin resistance that is more common during gestation. The crossovers are looking like they will be more easy to integrate during the weekends when my wonderful husband is home all day.

So far my favorite foods have been Fuel Pull snacks. I made the Lemon Mousse and the Choco Pudding this past weekend. Rob really enjoyed the Choco Pudding, as did my two toddlers. Aiden liked it so much he cried when we told him it was time to leave the table, and this from a 2 year old who is usually the first one to ask to leave the table. I was looking forward to enjoying the Lemon Mousse to myself, as I made is quite tart to suit my own taste. However I forgot to factor on the toddlers both having a rule that whatever mama eats must also be eaten by them, so I'm now sharing the Lemon Mousse too. I just want to say here that I think glucomannan is our new favorite ingredient to have in our kitchen.

My other go to snack, and one I was having even before I got the book, when I was just picking up tips from the Facebook page, is Greek yogurt with a dash of vanilla extract, half a sachet of Truvia and a few strawberries. I had been trying to keep to the Brewer's Pregnancy Diet as I did with my previous pregnancies, and it recommended drinking lots of milk. However during that first trimester where I always bloat up by about 10lbs I found this time that drinking milk was making me more constipated, so I switched to Greek yogurt for some of the dairy requirements. However it has taken me until this week to realize that the way I'm eating the yogurt puts it in Fuel Pull territory.

I know that once I'm ready to loose weight postpartum Fuel Pulls will be a good friend to me, but right now I need to balance them out a little more so I don't loose too much and hinder my growing baby's development. I will be interested to see how much being a THM effects this baby's birth weight. My boys were both big babies at birth, with Aiden arriving at 8lb7oz and Seth arriving at 9lb8oz. I did Rob even before we got pregnant this time that I'd love to have a baby that actually looked like a newborn rather than a 3 month old.

So, while it is still very early days and we are still making baby steps to integrate this new way of eating, I am still very encouraged. We are eating lots of really tasty food, and I never feel hungry.

My tip of the week. I've started to think of the "junk" carbs I used to eat in terms of how my pancreas sees it. Now when I see an advert for potato chips (or other snack) I just tell myself that its a spoonful of sugar. All the pasta, pizza dough, bread products that used to dominate my diet, just a spoonful of sugar to my body. I wouldn't just stick a spoonful of sugar in my mouth, so why put in foods that are just as bad for my blood sugar levels?

No comments:

Post a Comment